Friday, September 14, 2018

Seedling has survived.

So, two and a half years ago, I planted a Cherry tree seedling of just a few centimeters high. Now, I can happily report that it has survived its transplant into my garden. It is now approximately 2 feet tall!

It's survival was hanging by a thread, at some point. This was because I hadn't been paying attention, and the tree got infected by aphids. These aphids live in a strange relation ship with ants, because they were being farmed by carpenter ants.

Killing the aphids with dish soap made the ants go away, fortunately. But not before the tree was severely damaged by the aphids. As bad as that was, I think it survived and is still growing.

I estimate it will take a couple of decades before we'll see a sizable tree. I'll keep tracking its growth.

1 comment:

Els said...

Al een mooi, lief, klein boompje. Ik hoop het nog mee te maken wanneer de stamomtrek zo'n 20 cm is. ��